To be living instruments of God's love, truth and healing
|Home||Mission||Who We Are||Ministries||Current Events||Newcomer Welcome||St. Johns Church & Cemetery||Links|
St. John’s Church & Cemetery
Located at 5268 the 6th Line of New Tecumseth (between the 15th & 18th sideroads)
St. John's Anglican Church Cemetery is situated on lot 17, concession 6, of the Town of New Tecumseth, County of Simcoe, and is the property of the Anglican Church Diocese of Toronto.
In 1831 the Rev. R.D. Cartwright, Chaplin to the Bishop of Quebec, visited the area and travelling missionaries recorded good attendance at services held in homes and barns. The congregation of St. John's was formed in 1833 and the church opened in 1835 to the east of the present site. The first service was held on August 2, 1835 conducted by the Rev. Adam Elliot.
On June 5, 1846 a parcel of land, including that on which the Church had been constructed, was granted to the Church Society of the Diocese of Toronto and by then a cemetery had already been started.
On April 10, 1854 by means of an indenture to Featherstone Lake Osler, Incumbent, and Richard Davis and Robert Crofts, Church Wardens, the property was conveyed to St. John's Anglican Church, Tecumseth. This property was known as the Glebe Farm and consisted of 200 acres. The first church building was destroyed by fire in 1880 and the present building opened for service on September 25, 1881.
For about the church and cemetery history and its role in our
parish growth, please click here to read
A Brief History of the Parish of Tecumseth.
For about the church and cemetery history and its role in our parish growth, please click here to read A Brief History of the Parish of Tecumseth.
St. John’s Church Today
The church is used for
services as one of the parish places of worship. The high vaulted
ceiling, wooden pews and altar, and the sounds of the old organ make the
church a beautiful setting for any service. It is also used for
both funerals and for weddings from time to time. The building
also has tremendous acoustics and has become a venue for concerts
(recently, the Spring 2012 Concert with the local Harmonia Choir was
very well received). For more
information on renting the chapel, click on
send us an e-mail.
The church is used for services as one of the parish places of worship. The high vaulted ceiling, wooden pews and altar, and the sounds of the old organ make the church a beautiful setting for any service. It is also used for both funerals and for weddings from time to time. The building also has tremendous acoustics and has become a venue for concerts (recently, the Spring 2012 Concert with the local Harmonia Choir was very well received). For more information on renting the chapel, click on Inquiries and send us an e-mail.
St. John’s Cemetery Today
The cemetery, which is open to all faiths, surrounds St. John’s Church and is not yet close to being at capacity although some sections are now closed to the addition of new plots. The Church is often used for funeral services as well as an annual memorial service that is well attended by friends and families of those buried here.
A semi-circular gravel drive winds through the centre of the cemetery grounds and is lined with maple trees. Throughout the grounds, bushes and trees are used to enhance the natural beauty of the cemetery and strategically placed benches are there upon which to rest and enjoy the peaceful view across rolling farmland.
Recently, the cemetery has also added a memorial garden with benches to allow for visitors to sit and reflect. Along the southern perimeter is a wrought iron fence with three access gates and angle parking for visitors.
The cemetery offers in-ground burial of both full casket and cremation urn. In the past few years the cemetery has added a columbarium with niches that can be purchased for the interment of cremated remains in urns as an alternative to in ground interment.
The cemetery is licensed to act as a cemetery in accordance with the Cemeteries Act of 1992 and is part of the Anglican parish of Tottenham’s Church of the Evangelists. The St. John’s Anglican Church Cemetery Board manages the cemetery.
The Board have set out by-laws governing the operation of the cemetery the goals of which are to keep it a becoming and respectful place for the burial of the dead. Copies of the full by-laws are available upon request.
Briefly the St. John’s Cemetery operations are summarized as follows:
Steps for Burial in St. John’s Cemetery
The following outlines the basic steps to follow in order to avail yourself of the Cemetery for the burial of a loved one.
1. The Cemetery is contacted by family or undertaker to set up time and date for burial.
2. Plot is opened (machine dug for casket, hand dug for cremation) by the cemetery on the burial day. Cost is noted in Tariff of Rates below.
3. Plot is attended by the cemetery staff until completely closed at end of funeral.
4. Flowers are removed when wilted.
5. Burial or cremation certificate and payment in full is required prior to burial.
St. John’s Cemetery
A full copy of our current by-laws are available as a PDF document that can be downloaded by clicking here. Please be aware that the new Ontario legislation governing cemetery operation will require re-issuing our by-laws. A Notice will be posted here when they are being submitted for approval.
Tariff of Rates
Our current rate schedule is also available as a PDF document that can be printed or downloaded here. As noted above, new costs required in the above legislation will require updating our tariffs. These will also be available here once they are confirmed.
Inquiries should be directed to the Cemetery Coordinator:
|Questions & suggestions regarding this website should be directed to the Webmaster||© Parish of the Church of the Evangelists, New Tecumseth|